# Java SE 8 Features
# New Java SE 8 programming language features
- [Method references](http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/methodreferences.html) provide easy-to-read lambda expressions for methods that already have a name.
- [Default methods](http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/IandI/defaultmethods.html) enable new functionality to be added to the interfaces of libraries and ensure binary compatibility with code written for older versions of those interfaces.
- [New and Enhanced APIs That Take Advantage of Lambda Expressions and Streams](http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/language/lambda_api_jdk8.html) in Java SE 8 describe new and enhanced classes that take advantage of lambda expressions and streams.
- Target Typing (opens new window) in Lambda Expressions (opens new window)
- Type Inference (opens new window)
Reference: Enhancements in Java SE 8 (opens new window)